6.14.2009

The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book was Walt Disney's last movie. Disappointed with the bad reactions of The Sword and the Stone, Walt decided to do most of the work on this movie himself, and it shows! The songs are amazing, the characters are well-developed, and the plot line is great. If you have anything negative to say about The Jungle Book, don't say it here!

Now, let's move on. The Jungle Book is about a small "man-cub" named Mowgli who is found and raised in the deep jungles of India by a pack of wolves. When the wolves find out that Shere Khan, the man-eating tiger, is coming back into the jungle, they make Bagheera the black panther take him to the man-village. Mowgli and Bagheera then set off into an animal-filled adventure made of jazzy songs and rockin' beats. Each animal (or group of animals) that Mowgli meets has a personality for days (and usually a cool song to go with it!). My favorite character though is Baloo. He easily makes my top five Disney character list.

Baloo!


I rented the 40th Anniversary 2-Disc Edition, which is full of special features! The first disc has a deleted character, Rocky the Rhino. I'm actually glad that this character didn't make it into the cut, because he has a really annoying voice, and the character didn't flow well with the vultures. There's 21 minutes of deleted songs--I can see why they were deleted. The demo version of "Bare Necessities" is so bad it's hilarious! I almost fell out of my chair laughing. But the worst song (and I mean THE WORST), is a special little gift from the JoBroHoes. Pop stars ruining classic Disney songs is one of my biggest pet peeves. But after I watched the little informercial for the Disney Wildlife Fund, I felt better. Let's all do our part to help the environment, okay? Okay.

The only deleted song I could find online. It's called "Mighty Hunters" and
that Tony the Tiger-on-steroids voice is Shere Khan singing.

Disc 2 was specifically made for me, and every other Disney-geek out there. You have a choice to go to the "Jungle" or the "Man-Village". The jungle option leads you to a whole bunch of not-very-fun games, but if you choose the man-village option, you get more than an hour of fun goodies for your inner Disney nerd. It's okay, we all have one.

...I think I'm gonna train the animals at the zoo to sing and dance. Anyone else in?

1 comment:

  1. OMG. The Shere Khan voice is the guy from the haunted mansion! I'm good, I know.

    ReplyDelete