5.30.2009

Aladdin

After watching Aladdin for the first time in 10+ years, I had truly forgotten how amazing this story was. With a sharp minded hero and princess that actually rejects men, how could it not be? However, my favorite character had to be the Genie, played by none other than Robin Williams. His constant stream of jokes were enjoyed by myself AND my younger sister. Another part of Aladdin that I enjoyed is the number of other Disney movies that make a surprise appearance. (Can you find Pinnochio, Goofy, and Sebastian?)

Being an animal person, I can't help but adore Abu and Raja. Abu even becomes an elephant to help out his buddy Aladdin! So adorable! Especially when he's trying to eat his bananas elephant-style. I don't really like Jafar and Iago, but you have to admit that Iago is a pretty cute parrot. If you have the DVD, go to the second disc and watch a guided tour of the Genie's lamp with Iago! Hilarious!

I highly reccommend getting the 2-disc DVD to watch Aladdin--the bonus features on each disc are incredible! On disc one, you can hear deleted songs and watch deleted scenes from the movie. In the original plot of the movie, Aladdin was supposed to have a mother. When the mother was cut from the plot, so was the beautiful song, "Proud of your boy" (video below). Disc one doesn't have much else, besides some cringe-worthy music videos from the early 90's (please stop making current pop stars sing Disney songs!!) Disc two has three very fun games where you can take a carpet ride with Aladdin (and Timon from The Lion King), take a tour of Genie's lamp with Iago, or get your fortune told by Jafar. There's also a 20 minute video praising Alan Menken, one of the most AMAZING musical composers ever. Here's proof:


RIP Howard Ashman.


Overall, I'd have to say Aladdin truly earned it's spot as a Disney classic. I'd take that street rat any day...

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool. I've never seen that before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I couldn't have said any of that better. Although I do think Jafar has his good points in the movie. Every time he says "prince Abooboo" I crack up. It is one of my favorite Disney movies. And my friend Alex, who is an Aladdin fanatic has the two disc version and I've seen the special features. They're great. You could be a Disney spokesperson with this blog! haha. And yes, Alan Menken in a genius and yes, RIP Howard Ashman.

    ReplyDelete